Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Thanks anyway Starbucks, but I'll be keeping my $5.00.




I love the fall.  The changing colors on the trees, the crunch of leaves beneath your feet, the appropriate weather for scarve-wearing, and leisurely enjoying a warm drink.  I don't know how they do it, but Starbucks seems to have the market on making seasonal drinks, and I am a sucker for their pumpkin spice latte.  I don't know how they do it; this latte seems to be flavored with all the feelings of nostalgia that generally accompany the autumn season for me, and sipping on one of them feels like sitting by a warm hearth with friends (perhaps a bit dramatic, but I really do enjoy them).
Anyway, the other day I had a hankering for this special drink, and it occured to me that perhaps I could try and make one myself.  I did, and it was awesome.  Improvising on another recipe here is what I did:

In a saucepan combine:
1 cup milk
2 T pumpkin puree (I used canned pumpkin)
1-2T sugar (depending how sweet you like it)
mix with a wire wisk
remove from heat when steaming and add:
1/4tsp. nutmeg
1/4tsp. cinnamon
1T vanilla
wisk until frothy
Add 1/2 cup brewed coffee
pour into big mug, and top with whipped cream if you want! 
Sip leisurely while contemplating the beauty of life.

1 comments:

Heather Jordan January 18, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Hi Kris! I saw this blog post and thought about you! http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2008/06/recipe_detail.html?id=7109